Wednesday, January 17, 2007

So ... Why a mermaid?


Anyone who has known me for very long knows I have a "thing" for Ariel from the movie "The Little Mermaid." When the movie first came out in late 1989, I was "between girlfriends" and more than a bit lonely. When I saw the movie, she was a breath of fresh air. She was young, she was lovely, she had big eyes and all that red hair, she had a beautiful voice, a fine figure (from the waist up), she had a respectable chest size ... and she was the most naked toon princess I'd ever seen. Cute, young and spunky, and just a bit naive ... what more could a man want? On top of all that, she was the first Disney princess to have a full frontal nude scene in her own movie. Most people, sitting watching a "G"-rated movie, just glaze over it without realizing they've seen a naked pubis. Plus some momentary bare buns. Go back and watch and see if you can spot those scenes.

I was glad to find out later I wasn't the only guy who had fallen in love with a cartoon girl, or at least with the idea of what that "perfect girl" could be. When the first commercial Internet provider opened in my city in 1994, and I got my very own account, I found that - gasp! - there were people drawing nekkid pictures of the animated stars of the early 1990s - Ariel, Belle, Jasmine. I myself had dabbled a bit in digital art - my very first dirty pix was a bondage drawing done way back in 1983 on a TI99/4A with its "graphics keys" - but now we were talking about seriously good art by seriously demented fans. I was at home.

1 comment:

Tooner said...

Right there with you man. If you will recall back around 94 or 95 Ariel was the first naked toon that I did. Those first two or three really made the rounds. Back then there wasn't much volume so yours mine an a handful of others always ended up on the pay sites. We've come a long way since then. I just wish I could have matched your volume. Well, I did take off drawing for five years and I've been pretty prolific since getting back into it in 2006.

Getting back to Ariel, I really should do some new ones of her. It's been a while. I'll try to work her into my nightly sketching sessions.

Talk at you later Kink.